Camp Smile-A-Mile’s mission is to provide year round challenging,unforgettable recreational and educational experiences for young cancer patients, their families as well as young adult survivors from Alabama at no cost to the families. Our purpose is to provide these patients, families and survivors with avenues for fellowship, to help them cope with their disease, and to prepare them for life after cancer.
About Camp Smile-A-Mile:
Camp Smile-A-Mile (Camp SAM) was established in 1985 to serve the children of Alabama battling cancer while also being a source of support for their families. Starting with a single, week-long camp that welcomed patients of all ages, Camp SAM has grown to include year-round programming and seven camp sessions each summer. We are the only pediatric oncology camp in the state to offer such extensive programming for the entire family. In addition, we have developed a scholarship program for campers attending universities and vocational schools. Camp SAM’s office is located in Birmingham and neighbors Children’s of Alabama. Camp SAM’s permanent campsite for summer sessions is located at Children’s Harbor on Lake Martin. Children's Harbor donates the use of their facility. Since its inception 30 years ago, Camp SAM has steadily expanded its reach, now welcoming more than 450 campers from throughout the state each summer. Hundreds more children and their families participate in our other year-round programming. Camp is free-of-charge to the families and transportation is provided from Children’s of Alabama to the campsite. Camp Smile-A-Mile is a 501(c)(3) organization.
Camp Smile-A-Mile Quick Facts
- Camp SAM provides summer camp sessions to more than 450 pediatric oncology patients,
survivors and their family members.
- Camp SAM takes camp programming to the Hematology/Oncology Floor at Children’s of Alabama for children too sick to leave the hospital through our Hospital
Outreach Program (HOP).
- Camp SAM provides more than 25 scholarships each year to campers attending university, college or vocational schools.
- Camp SAM provides other life-enriching year round programs for campers, their families and young adult survivors.
- Camp SAM provides funding each year for a Pediatric Hematology/Oncology Fellow in training with the UAB Division of Pediatric Hematology/Oncology. This funding is offered exclusively for the training of Post-Graduate Fellows in Pediatric Hematology/Oncology.
Camp Smile-A-Mile is a Gold Ribbon Award Member of the Children's Oncology Camping Association International (COCA-I), an organization whose mission is to strengthen the international community of camps for children with cancer and their families through networking, advocacy, and education.
For more information on COCA-I visit: www.cocai.org
Camp Smile-A-Mile is honored to be a KOA Care Camp!